Power BI Modern Tooltips support drilldown and drill-through operations. Let us see how to build and use these rich tooltips. But that is not all. You can also use an entire page – with multiple visuals as a tooltip. Tooltip Pages make interpretation of data easier and more contextual. Watch this video to learn all about tooltips. Power BI Modern Tooltips is a preview feature (as of Dec 2022).
Video: Power BI Modern Tooltips
Already know how to use tooltips? Jump to a specific topic of interest directly.
- Introduction – 00:00
- Default tooltips – 00:39
- Enable modern tooltips – 01:36
- Add more fields to the tooltip – 02:16
- Drill down and up using the tooltip – 02:50
- Create a tooltip page – 04:30
- Link visuals with tooltip page – 06:311
- Customize the tooltip page – 07:35
- Create second tooltip page – 08:07
- Choosing specific tooltip page – 09:03
- When to use page tooltips – 11:39
- Limitations of page tooltips – 12:00
- Default tooltips have always been there for all visuals in Power BI.
- The default tooltips show logically relevant information for every plotted data point – like x and y axis values.
- Now Microsoft is introducing modern tool tips.
- You need to enable modern tool tips as of today – December 2022. Because currently it is a preview feature.
- Once enable the modern tool tips automatically support drill down. Drill down, drill up and drill through operations depending on the visual and the fields available in the visual.
- This is extremely useful because the standard drill related arrows are very confusing, whereas the tool tip is much more intuitive and natural.
- Another type of tool tip is to create a page containing visuals and then treat it as a tool.
- Once you set a page as a tool, you can also define which visuals will automatically use this page as the tool tip.
- This is done by specifying one or more fields at the tooltip page level.
- This way, without changing individual reports in the visual. Relevant visuals will get the benefit of page tool tips.
- Smart use of page tool tips can enrich a report. minimise user intervention and provide more information with minimal effort.
More Power BI content
- Excel vs Power BI – differences and common features
- Get data from website – Excel and Power BI
- Power BI for Excel users – Democratizing BI – Best Practices