Despite the popularity of Microsoft 365, many customers are not using OneDrive file sharing efficiently. In this video, we cover detailed demos and explanation of why you should use OneDrive for storing files and use links to share files. It also covers Teams File Sharing best practices. Security, Privacy and Compliance is also included. This is a 90 minute video.
OneDrive File sharing video – Table of Contents
Use this TOC to jump to a specific topic on YouTube.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:00:21 – Microsoft 365 apps
- 00:01:59 – Storing videos on Stream
- 00:10:23 – Visio diagrams
- 00:12:22 – Where to store files?
- 00:15:22 – Problem with sharing local files
- 00:17:07 – Solution: OneDrive
- 00:20:25 – Are OneDrive files safe?
- 00:25:52 – OneDrive file saving and sharing demo
- 00:39:23 – Benefits of storing files on OneDrive
- 00:40:00 – Stop sending attachments, share links
- 00:48:18 – Editing the file together – live
- 00:50:48 – Sharing file with comment @mentions
- 00:56:15 – Why sharing links externally is safer?
- 00:58:52 – File sharing with Teams Chat
- 01:06:41 – Create a Team for project management
- 01:14:08 – New file format – Loop
- 01:16:13 – File Security – sensitivity labels
- 01:23:15 – Security, Productivity, Compliance Score
Do post your feedback and queries as comments.
Best Practices for File Sharing using OneDrive and Teams
Always share files as links
Send attachments only if it is a business or legal requirements. Otherwise use links. This way you get full control over the file sharing process. It also eliminates the need to copy paste from document versions sent to you by others.
Store new files to OneDrive
Never save files to local drive. Store files on OneDrive. You still have the local copy available. However, the advantage is that it is automatically synched across devices.
Change default sharing option to Specific People
This is a OneDrive File sharing best practice for the IT team. The default sharing creates an anonymous link. Of course, you can – and you should change the default to Specific People. This is equivalent to sending a file by CC. Direct links are safer because forwarded links do not work. Read more details here.