WhatsApp is simple, convenient and popular. Due to this, it is used for official work as well. Whether you like it or not, you have to accept it. Attempts to control it fail miserably. That is where Kaizala comes in. It provides all the convenience of WhatsApp plus all the security and governance you need for managing official work and data. It is a no brainer. But still, let us see WhatsApp vs Kaizala comparison from a business collaboration point of view.
Reading time 6 min
Continue reading WhatsApp vs Kaizala
Just using a login id and password is dangerous. For best protection we must use two factor login – password + OTP. But this is inconvenient and irritating. Now we have a new option – Password-less login – for Office 365. This is secure as well as convenient. See how easy it is and ask your IT team to enable it for you. (5 min reading time)
This requires you to download Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile and configure it once. You must enable the Phone Sign-In option.
Once this is done, you do NOT need to type in your password at all during login. Here are the steps.
- Go to the login page Office.com and click Sign In
- Enter the login name and click Next
- Now, instead of asking for your password, it will just display a number
- At the same time, you will receive a notification on your mobile. This notification shows three numbers.
- Choose the correct number from the mobile notification and choose Approve
- If the phone was locked at the time of receiving this notification, you will have to enter unlock code or use fingerprint or face sign-in
- That’s it. Now your login is done … without entering the password.
What happens if there is no internet connection
For the Password-less login to work, the Microsoft Authenticator app requires internet connection on the mobile. If there is no internet connection, you can click on the Use your password instead option.
In this case, you can type the password as usual. You will NOT receive a notification on mobile. But the Microsoft Authenticator app will still show the code for your account. Type that code and the login will work. The codes are automatically generated every 30 seconds. This does not require an internet connection on your mobile.
Ask IT to enable Password-less login
This is an Azure AD feature. Ask your IT team to refer to this article for details. It is just a single PowerShell command as of now (Dec 2018). Soon it will be available as an option in Azure AD portal user interface as well.
Quick guide for Office 365 MFA. Includes admin and user tasks in brief.
Admin: Enable Office 365 MFA
- Go to Admin Portal
- Users – Select the user
- Select user(s) again and click the Enable button
- That’s it. Now it is the user’s turn to take the next steps
User: Enable Office 365 MFA – first time only
- You must go to a browser – incognito / InPrivate / private mode
- Go to https://portal.office.com
- Login as usual.
- Click Next in the Additional Information dialog
- Now there are many options and this can be a confusing step
- Open the dropdown choose Mobile App and Choose Receive Notifications for verification option
- Click the Set Up option. After some processing, it will show a QR code
- Now it is time to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator App on mobile (Android and iOS)
- Open the app and from the top right menu, choose Add Account – Work or School Account
- Scan the QR code
- Now it will register the account on the mobile and you will see a 6 digit code which keeps changing every 30 seconds (does not require internet connection)
- Now click Next on the browser side.
- You will now receive an notification on the mobile phone.
Choose the Approve option.
- Now the MFA is configured.
Please note, the displayed 6 digit number is NOT REQUIRED to be entered anywhere. This is because, we are using the Receive Notification for Verification option.
- In the next step, it will ask another number for verification in case you lose your mobile. Add a different number here. Click Next.
Special password for Outlook and Skype for Business
Outlook client and Skype FB does not support MFA. Your regular account password will stop working as soon as MFA is configured. Outlook will keep asking for your password and your regular password will not work. Now you have to use a special password.
That is the one shown to you in the next dialog as Step 4. Copy that password and use the same password it for Outlook and SFB. Use one password for laptop and one for desktop / mobile, etc.
If you use any ActiveSync client on mobile, that will also require a password. Technically you can use this password, but it is better to create another one.
How to do that? Go to Portal.Office.com, click on your photo, go to My account – Security – You will see a Create App Passwords option. Create a new one from there and use it.
User: Regular Office 365 MFA login
Now onwards, MFA is enabled. Now login using two steps
Step 1: Login using UID PWD as usual.
Step 2: Immediately, you will receive the Approval notification on mobile.
Chances of your account being hacked reduced by 99% now.
Share this with everyone you love and make their digital lives also safer.
Recently a customer asked me to compare SharePoint vs. Teams. Customer found my reply clear and concise explanation of the key points. Therefore, I am posting it as an article. (Reading time 4 min) Continue reading SharePoint vs. Teams
(Reading time 3 min ) This article provides concise instructions on where to store files when you have Office 365 E3 or above in your organization. There are multiple places and apps within Office 365 where files can be stored. But there is no clarity about which file goes where. Here is a simple guide for everyone.
Continue reading Store files in Office 365 – Best Practices
May be you already know this. But still, read for just 2 minutes more to clarify your thoughts. Teams is an app which streamlines teamwork. That is the obvious definition. But this is an incomplete description.
Coordinating with multiple persons is Teamwork. Agreed. But there are a plethora of apps available to collaborate with others. What is special about Teams?
Teams is an app which helps you work with all types of Technologies. So it is not just teamwork with other people, it is with multiple technologies as well.
Continue reading What is Microsoft Teams
Of course. The name of the product suggests that it should be used when you are working with others. You + one or more other people makes a team. Agreed. We should use Teams when working with others.
Can I use the Teams app to work only with myself? The answer is YES.
Continue reading One-person Team
Microsoft Teams is a convenient way of working with colleagues without cluttering mailboxes. You post a conversation inside the Teams app and others can reply to it.
The common mistake is that instead of replying to your question, people start a new discussion. Here is how you prevent the mistake. Click on the Reply button.
Learn more about Microsoft Teams – Knowledge Pack.
If you are trying to use Microsoft Teams, you will face this practical problem. The problem is that all your team members must notice the messages that are posted in the Teams app. Nothing is visible in the Inbox. This may lead to missed messages and delayed responses. Start noticing the notification!
Continue reading Missing messages in Teams? Follow the channels.
The obvious answer is – “whenever you want to work with your team”. But that is not enough. Here is a more precise answer. If all (or most) of the requirements listed below are true, you should use Microsoft Teams.
- Your organization has Office 365 Teams license available for all the people whom you intend to work with as a team.
As on Jan 2018, if you intend to work with people in another organization, they also need to have Office 365 license.
- The kind of work you do with the selected team members has to be specific to a common topic of interest. It could be a project, a new initiative, a deliverable, an outcome …
- Usually there is an end date for such things. But that is not a must.
- The work being done is not just about sending messages and informing each other. You need to keep track of who said what, need files, images, notes, collaterals and so on.
- The kind of work you do is frequent. For infrequent work, just use email.
Yes. That’s it.
You can create a new team even for just you and someone else. Remember to create multiple teams for multiple contexts, even if some members may be common. More on that later.
Finally, DO NOT create too many Teams in the app. You will need another team to manage all these Teams.. ha ha!
Good to know When NOT to use Microsoft Teams as well.