Do you agree? I would love to know your opinion.
This article is for IT professionals only. Office templates are created by users. How to make common templates available to all employees (or specific groups)? This can easily be deployed using Group Policy. Here are the approaches available.
Using File Folder / SharePoint Document Library
- AD and GPMC is required.
- Put all the templates in a central shared folder or a document library.
- Install and download Group Policy admin templates for Office.
- Open Group Policy MMC, open Admin templates – MS Office <ver> – Shared Paths
- Change the setting Enterprise Templates Path
- If server share provide UNC Path.
- If SharePoint library, add that as a network location (or map as drive in login script).
- That’s It. Now users can see templates in Word, Excel, PowerPoint – File – New
Using content types
- Create a document library
- Give read only access to all users
- Create and map a content type
- Add templates to the content type
- New button in the document library will now list all mapped templates
This article is for IT professionals only. The language is technical. As a user it is not relevant to you.
IT presentations say “IT is an enabler”. But ask any user – they will tell you that the primary job of IT seems to be “disabling” things. From Start Menu, IE settings, USB Ports, Web sites, network settings, ability to install new software, everything seems to be deactivated by IT. It is frustrating. But everyone knows that it is required for security, compliance and privacy reasons.
As an IT professional, here is your chance of ENABLING things which users will really thank you for. This opportunity comes from a seemingly unlikely place – Microsoft Office. Read on to find out how you transform your users lives using Office Group Policy.