WhatsApp is simple, convenient and popular. Due to this, it is used for official work as well. Whether you like it or not, you have to accept it. Attempts to control it fail miserably. That is where Kaizala comes in. It provides all the convenience of WhatsApp plus all the security and governance you need for managing official work and data. It is a no brainer. But still, let us see WhatsApp vs Kaizala comparison from a business collaboration point of view.
Reading time 6 min
Continue reading WhatsApp vs Kaizala
Just using a login id and password is dangerous. For best protection we must use two factor login – password + OTP. But this is inconvenient and irritating. Now we have a new option – Password-less login – for Office 365. This is secure as well as convenient. See how easy it is and ask your IT team to enable it for you. (5 min reading time)
This requires you to download Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile and configure it once. You must enable the Phone Sign-In option.
Once this is done, you do NOT need to type in your password at all during login. Here are the steps.
- Go to the login page Office.com and click Sign In
- Enter the login name and click Next
- Now, instead of asking for your password, it will just display a number
- At the same time, you will receive a notification on your mobile. This notification shows three numbers.
- Choose the correct number from the mobile notification and choose Approve
- If the phone was locked at the time of receiving this notification, you will have to enter unlock code or use fingerprint or face sign-in
- That’s it. Now your login is done … without entering the password.
What happens if there is no internet connection
For the Password-less login to work, the Microsoft Authenticator app requires internet connection on the mobile. If there is no internet connection, you can click on the Use your password instead option.
In this case, you can type the password as usual. You will NOT receive a notification on mobile. But the Microsoft Authenticator app will still show the code for your account. Type that code and the login will work. The codes are automatically generated every 30 seconds. This does not require an internet connection on your mobile.
Ask IT to enable Password-less login
This is an Azure AD feature. Ask your IT team to refer to this article for details. It is just a single PowerShell command as of now (Dec 2018). Soon it will be available as an option in Azure AD portal user interface as well.
Quick guide for Office 365 MFA. Includes admin and user tasks in brief.
Admin: Enable Office 365 MFA
- Go to Admin Portal
- Users – Select the user
- Select user(s) again and click the Enable button
- That’s it. Now it is the user’s turn to take the next steps
User: Enable Office 365 MFA – first time only
- You must go to a browser – incognito / InPrivate / private mode
- Go to https://portal.office.com
- Login as usual.
- Click Next in the Additional Information dialog
- Now there are many options and this can be a confusing step
- Open the dropdown choose Mobile App and Choose Receive Notifications for verification option
- Click the Set Up option. After some processing, it will show a QR code
- Now it is time to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator App on mobile (Android and iOS)
- Open the app and from the top right menu, choose Add Account – Work or School Account
- Scan the QR code
- Now it will register the account on the mobile and you will see a 6 digit code which keeps changing every 30 seconds (does not require internet connection)
- Now click Next on the browser side.
- You will now receive an notification on the mobile phone.
Choose the Approve option.
- Now the MFA is configured.
Please note, the displayed 6 digit number is NOT REQUIRED to be entered anywhere. This is because, we are using the Receive Notification for Verification option.
- In the next step, it will ask another number for verification in case you lose your mobile. Add a different number here. Click Next.
Special password for Outlook and Skype for Business
Outlook client and Skype FB does not support MFA. Your regular account password will stop working as soon as MFA is configured. Outlook will keep asking for your password and your regular password will not work. Now you have to use a special password.
That is the one shown to you in the next dialog as Step 4. Copy that password and use the same password it for Outlook and SFB. Use one password for laptop and one for desktop / mobile, etc.
If you use any ActiveSync client on mobile, that will also require a password. Technically you can use this password, but it is better to create another one.
How to do that? Go to Portal.Office.com, click on your photo, go to My account – Security – You will see a Create App Passwords option. Create a new one from there and use it.
User: Regular Office 365 MFA login
Now onwards, MFA is enabled. Now login using two steps
Step 1: Login using UID PWD as usual.
Step 2: Immediately, you will receive the Approval notification on mobile.
Chances of your account being hacked reduced by 99% now.
Share this with everyone you love and make their digital lives also safer.
Very short blog. Speedtest.net or dslreports.com are commonly used for checking Internet speed. Here is https://fast.com as a quick and ad-free alternative. Try it out. I find it to be the best Internet speed test out there.
It is created by Netflix. They wanted users to have a quick way to check bandwidth with no bloatware around it. It also performs what is called as a “Loaded latency” test – a modified Ping test.
Click Settings to adjust how long it tests the speed. This is useful if you expect fluctuation in the speed over time.
Here is a list of Macros I have written for various Office tools. Usually we feel that any repetitive task requires a macro. That is a wrong concept. Typically, repetitive tasks indicate that the method you are using is inefficient. Usually there is an efficient way to do the same job – which eliminates the repetition.
Continue reading Macros Knowledge Pack
Recently a customer asked me to compare SharePoint vs. Teams. Customer found my reply clear and concise explanation of the key points. Therefore, I am posting it as an article. (Reading time 4 min) Continue reading SharePoint vs. Teams
Announcing second Power BI Workshop.
Saturday, 13 Oct 2018 9 am to 5 pm, Mumbai
Waterstones Hotel, behind The Lalit Hotel, near International Airport, Mumbai
INR 22,000 + taxes per participant
- Full, 6-hour video recording of the entire session which can be used to train more people internally
- Email support for 2 months
- Exercises with sample files
- Online, 2-hour follow up session
- Work with your own data
You must bring your own laptop. Additional software needs to be installed BEFORE arriving for the event.
Power BI Workshop Content
- Disadvantages / Pitfalls of data analysis in traditional Excel
- Understanding the Data Model
- Good vs Bad data
- Good data checklist
- Data Import and Cleanup
- Web data import
- Combining data from folder files
- Combining data from sheets
- Eliminating VLOOKUP
- Handling millions of rows
- Data modeling
- Creating Relationships
- Creating Interactive Dashboards
- Time Intelligence
- Introduction to DAX
- Power BI portal
- Choosing the right visualization
- 3D maps using Power Map
- Sharing reports
- English language Q&A
- Bookmarks and storytelling
- Custom visuals
Who should Attend?
- Anyone who spends lot of time with Excel creating reports, charts and analyzing data.
- If you use any other BI tools like Tableu, Qlik, BO, Cognos, etc.
- If you work extensively with Pivot Tables
Who should NOT attend?
If you want to learn DAX language, specifically, you should NOT attend this workshop.
This workshop is designed for people who have no exposure to Power BI in the past. The objective is to migrate them from the painful manual Excel based processes and legacy charts to the interactive data visualizations and dashboards using Power BI.
Learn from the Guru
Dr. Nitin Paranjape has coached over 330,000+ professionals across 18 countries. He is recognized as the Most Valuable Professional by Microsoft, for 15 years. Dr. Nitin is a coveted speaker with a unique humorous and motivating style of teaching. Detailed profile
Dr. Nitin’s work on Analytics
50+ Data Analytics Blog articles
Power BI video for beginners
Shadow Analytics video for CIOs
Data Analytics Webinar
Power BI for developers video
You will be able to …
- Create your own interactive dashboards using Power BI
- Understand data quality problems and clean up data efficiently
- Combine data from multiple sources and create an optimal data model
- Choose the right visualizations to represent data in a meaningful way
- Design interactions within the data to simplify and amplify the usefulness of data
Behind The Lalit, Near International Airport, Mumbai.
Valet Parking Available
Power BI Workshop is subject to cancellation due to inadequate number of participants or factors beyond our control.
In case of cancellation, full refund will be provided.
While working with Power BI we often need to convert Seconds to Duration. This is easily done in Excel just by applying the formatting code “HH:MM:SS”. Unfortunately in Power Query or DAX, this is not possible. Here is the solution:
Continue reading Power BI Seconds to Duration
(Reading time 3 min ) This article provides concise instructions on where to store files when you have Office 365 E3 or above in your organization. There are multiple places and apps within Office 365 where files can be stored. But there is no clarity about which file goes where. Here is a simple guide for everyone.
Continue reading Store files in Office 365 – Best Practices
Grouping means combining multiple items into fewer items. It helps us consolidate and summarize things to understand them at a higher level of granularity. Let us see how to use Power BI Grouping done easily and quickly. This is useful for Ageing Analysis, Bin or Bucket Analysis, week / custom date range analysis.
Continue reading Power BI Grouping